Codes
WiiRd forum
October 23, 2014, 08:38:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on the new server

Update 4.3 - do NOT update!
Gecko 1.9.3.1
Should I get a USB Gecko, I wanna hack?
How do I use my USB Gecko
Where can I get WiiRd?

Home   CODE DATABASE GAMEHACKING Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Hooks with USB Gecko and Wiird on WW/VC games, if possible...  (Read 1728 times)
elmoreas
I try to be helpful

elmoreas
« on: March 18, 2010, 03:54:26 AM »

I got my corrupted IOS 36 fixed and installed the IOSes that GMO reccomended (all of this was in this post http://wiird.l0nk.org/forum/index.php/topic,5308.0.html) but I am still having trouble getting Wiird to connect to any WW/VC games. I read a post where someone posted that their Wiird was saying the same thing mine is over and over:

Connection resetted!
> gamestatus
Sending command
Error sending command
Resetting USB Gecko device driver!
Connection resetted!
> gamestatus
Sending command

and Link reccomended using a different hooktype. Given that was for a disc based game, I was wondering if the same thing might be the issue here? Could using a hook other than default possibly get Wiird to connect? If so is there any rules I need to know about such as what hooks to use with what games, or regions, or such? Also is there any danger in using hooks, can they corrupt data on the Wii or cause any other problems. I have never used hooks before so I know nothing about them and therefore any information about them would be useful. Even a link to a post or site on hooks would be helpful. Mainly I just want to know if it is okay to try them with WW/VC games and if so which ones to try and if there is anything I should know first, regarding safety. Anything beyond that would be sweet. Thanks in advance to those that help, it is greatly appreciated. Have a good evening all. Talk to you later.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

"I am new but I am learning"
"I help others not to help myself but just to help others"
"I may need help now but I may be able to help you in the future so rember the Golden Rule"
dcx2
Computer Engineer
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:01:12 PM »

I'm not sure about any gotchas, but in general programming, a "hook" is a piece of code that kinda attaches itself to some other code's execution.  If you've ever written a C2 code, you can think of that as "hooking" - any time the game executes the address that you specified the game will briefly branch in, execute your instructions, and branch back out, allowing the game to continue as normal.  So hooking attached the C2 code's assembly instructions to the game instruction at the C2-address specified.

When we use Gecko OS, we want the game to call the code handler periodically.  If it doesn't, then the code handler won't run and therefore can't apply our codes.  But when does the game call the code handler?  (= what function does it hook?)  As long as it hooks a function that the game calls every frame or so, I don't see why it could cause any problems.  But I have always used the default, so I'm not exactly an expert.  Maybe you could get a stack overflow, or perhaps the hooked function is asynchronous to the game's execution and changes the wrong thing at the wrong time, but those are all simple freezes that holding the power button will fix.

EDIT:

Now that I re-read your error, it looks like perhaps the hook you're using isn't calling the code handler, and so the code handler might be unable to reply to requests from WiiRD to connect.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:03:39 PM by dcx2 » Logged

WiiPower
Hacker

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:38:37 PM »

It would be good if Gecko OS would check if it was able to hook into the game. I think sometimes it's unable to patch the main.dol with the hook pattern, with the result that the hook doesn't work for that game. It would be nice if Gecko OS would directly know that it won't work.
elmoreas
I try to be helpful

elmoreas
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 06:02:49 PM »

I have tried every hooktype for a game I used to be able to use my USB Gecko on, NES Operation Wolf NTSC-US, and still WiirdGUI will not connect. However no matter what hooktype I use whether it is none, default, or any of the hooktypes, Wiird32 DOES connect. But I really do not want to have to use the command line prompt version for WW/VC games. Does anyone have any idea why Wiird32 would connect but not WiirdGUI? I have tried deleting WiirdGUI and redownloading and installing but same result. When I install it and the dialog box pops up for language and force pal/ntsc and autoboot game/apply patch do I need to check anything or leave it all default and blank since I am in the USA and speak English and my console is a NTSC-US. Lastly is it possible that the USB Gecko itself could have gone bad and that I need a new one? Thanks all for your help.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

"I may need help now but I may be able to help you in the future so rember the Golden Rule"
dcx2
Computer Engineer
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 06:13:37 PM »

I doubt WiiRDGUI would connect successfully if the USB Gecko went bad.

Have you tried the new Gecko dotNET build?

elmoreas
I try to be helpful

elmoreas
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:11:44 PM »

No, I do not know how to compile it, I am unfamilar with c#. Do you know where I can get an already complied version, if that is possible? Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

dcx2
Computer Engineer
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »

Click the link in my sig, and then download the "Binary" link.  No need to compile ^_^  It may or may not work, since it doesn't require the console version of WiiRD.  Worth a shot though.

elmoreas
I try to be helpful

elmoreas
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:42:40 PM »

IT WORKED!!!  Grin  cool  Smiley

Thank you so much. I have been trying to fix this for 3 days. I really appreciate your help. I can now use my USB Gecko on WW/VC games again. The heck with Wiird I will just use Gecko DotNet. Thanks again, have a good one. Talk to you all later.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

dcx2
Computer Engineer
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:06:52 PM »

I'm glad it worked for you.  ^_^  Gecko dotNET is being actively developed so stop by this thread if you see any bugs or have any feature requests.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: